Train for a new career as a Veterinary Assistant in less than a year!
If you have a passion for caring for animals, then our Veterinary Assistant program is for you! Milwaukee Career College prepares students to work directly with animals in a wide variety of work environments such as veterinary clinics, shelters and animal hospitals.
Veterinary Assistants are responsible for the overall well-being of animals under their care, and perform a number of routine tasks under the supervision of a veterinarian. Some of these tasks include:
- Monitoring and Caring for animals after surgery
- Maintaining surgical equipment
- Helping to provide emergency first aid to sick or injured animals
- Giving medication or immunizations prescribed by the veterinarian
- Weighing, taking temperatures, feeding and bathing animals in their care
- Collecting samples for testing by the veterinarian
Some important qualities found in a good Veterinary Assistant include:
Compassion – Animals and their owners need to be treated with kindness and empathy.
Attention to Detail – Veterinary assistants play a role in the medical treatment of animals. For this reason, it’s important that instructions are followed exactly as given by the veterinarian to ensure the well-being of animals in their care.
Good Physical Health – Veterinary assistants must be able to lift some heavier animals, and restrain others during examinations. Being in good physical condition will make performing such tasks much easier.